Monday, April 20, 2009

After a babies teeth break through how Long is it before they come all the way in?

my daughter is 10 months old and three teeth just broke through, do I brush them or just wipe them off with a damp cloth?

After a babies teeth break through how Long is it before they come all the way in?
It depends on the baby, and the tooth!! My 8 month old has 4 teeth. The first three came through in a matter of days. For each one separately, he cried for about 20 minutes (I mean screamed!!), then all of a sudden, boom, there was a tooth there. Within 2 or 3 days of that, he had a full blown white tooth!





His fourth tooth was the exact opposite. It popped through and I didn%26#039;t even know it. That was two weeks ago and its still hanging out up there and hasn%26#039;t come all the way down. Therefore, he%26#039;s cranky on and off, drooling all the time and chewing on EVERYTHING. I just want it to come out and be done with this behavior. Until the 5th one comes...





I just wipe his teeth off with a damp cloth before he goes to bed. I tried the baby toothbrush, but he just wanted to chew on that too!
Reply:All babies are different. My first daughter didn%26#039;t even have a full mouth of teeth until she was over 18m old (3yo now). My second daughter is 15m now and she only has a couple in the front, maybe 7 or 8, but nothing even poking in the back.





For brushing, I bought one of those gum cleaners. It%26#039;s a blue rubber thing that fits over your finger and has teeny tiny little rubber %26quot;bristles%26quot; at the tip. They make Safe to Swallow toothpaste (my 15mo likes the Baby Einstein one) that you can buy and use. Occasionally babies will just enjoy chewing on those, but I found it helped massage the gums and she only gnawed lightly as I was doing it. I think it helped her gums feel better when she was teething because she%26#039;d stop crying and fussing for a little bit. :) If she gives you a lot of trouble with it, I%26#039;m sure a clean damp cloth would be just fine.





Also, I just had my 3yo to the dentist and he said that really at their ages, what I%26#039;m doing is just fine and their teeth look great. They generally don%26#039;t start to develop cavities as long as their is SOME sort of maintenance at bedtime to get the %26quot;gunk%26quot; off from the day.





Good luck!



myspace images

No comments:

Post a Comment